« Home | Tory blue through rose-coloured glasses » | David, someone loves you. » | How uncomfortable can it possibly get? » | Presenting our new Minister of National Defense... » | Welcome Briguy! » | National "Citizens" Coalition II » | For Unprincipled Bastard, there is only one way out » | I somehow knew... » | Which bracketted term is the most ironic? » | Welcome Graven! »

Boys and their guns

"Death changes everything in this regard," said Chris Downey, a former Texas prosecutor. While most minor hunting accidents in the state do not even get reported and Mr. Cheney was initially cleared of any wrongdoing by the local sheriff, he could face serious charges if his hunting partner were to die."

"A lot of accidents can be considered criminal negligent acts," Mr. Downey said in a televised interview. The wide-ranging charge of criminal negligence can be laid against anyone who "disregards substantial and unjustifiable risk," he said.


And of course since the police waited to interview Cheney for long enough for any alcohol to leave his system, criminal negligence can be harder to prove.

Not saying he was drunk, I'm just saying. You know.

edit: I just found these links (here and here). It looks like someone is digging around and there might well be a fair bit of dirt here. I mean, alcohol, a woman that he's not married to - heavens, I believe I'm getting the vapours! Let's see if anything non-bloggy, more mainstreamy comes of this.

I dunno, Kev, I'll admit the whole 'duck and cover' thing the past couple of days does look suspicious - but I haven't seen anything in the mainstream media to indicate that they were trying to cover up Cheney drinking. I think it's better to use Occam's Razor here - nothing I've seen in the past six years would indicate to me that's there's anyone in the White House who's willing to stand up in public and say "I made a mistake" - least of all Dick Cheney. As for the whole 'ooooh, he was with a woman not his wife' thing from the blogs you referenced - it just seems too much like what I'd expect from some catty high-schooler, sorry. If you're going to come up with some weird conspiracy theory, at least make it entertaining - throw in a grassy knoll or two. Although, come to think of it, looking at all the coverage of "it was Whittington's fault for coming up behind him unannounced - doesn't Cheney have an entourage of Secret Service Agents? Doesn't anyone think they'd have noticed someone sneaking behind Cheney with a loaded weapon? Come to think of it - isn't that their freakin' job - to notice someone sneaking up like that? But hey, if anyone wants to experience what it's like to be the Vice President, here you go:

http://www.weddingcrashersmovie.com/index_quail.htm

You may be right, but I like to leave my options open, particularly when it comes to potential new lows for the Cheney administration.

You should read the Scott MacLellan show over at whitehouse.gov - there is definitely something fishy about how the white house found out about this and when.

Stuff just doesn't add up.

Haven't seen the whitehouse.gov site yet - but check out comedycentral.com for the Daily Show's interpretation, they've been using the old Nintendo game, "Duck Hunt" as a prop. I agree with the idea of keeping the options open, but as much as I'd like to see Cheney burn for this one - I think Andrew Sullivan's is the simpler explanation - Cheney didn't hold off on telling the White House because he was trying to hide anything - he did it because he's Dick Cheney and he doesn't have to explain himself to anybody. Besides, it's not like Bush was going to do anything with the info - everyone knows George can't move without Dick's hand up his ass. I guess it's just a matter of seeing so many people hanging their hopes and beliefs in conspiracy theories that they refuse to see that these lovely theories fall about when you shine a light on them.

You might well be right - but we just won't know until the light has shone.

Besides, with the general ineptitude of this administration in recent years I haven't found any compelling conspiracy theories. I grab what I can.

Dude! If you're looking for compelling conspiracy theories:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Icke

You can't get any more compelling than Reptilian Humanoid Jews...

Just a quick point on the whole "walking into Cheney's field of fire" thing. I've hunted in the past and I have pretty extensive firearms training so one thing that I do know is that you never fire a weapon unless you know what's in you field of fire. That means everything in front of and behind the intended target. As the guy with the gun it's your responsibility to not shot what you shouldn't. This isn't open to any interpretation (Cheney apologists take note). In short Deadeye Dick fucked up. At least he eventually found, or was loaned, the balls needed to admit this.Now if we could just see him in front of a judge. And while I'm wishing for things, I'd like a pony. I might actually get that.

Well said, Doug. All I ask is that the next time I cap or wing someone hunting the police go away until tomorrow so I can dry out before they question me.

I don't necessarily believe that Cheney is guilty of anything more than idiocy, as Doug points out. It's just that there are a few loose threads, like the cops coming and leaving and questioning only at noon the next day, that really bother me.

It has a bit of a stink about it.

Yeah, but that's always happened with any politician - remember Richard Hatfield? It took the RCMP 30 days to question him after they found the weed that he'd left on the Queen's plane back in '84. For that matter, it happens with any celebrity - unlike O.J. Simpson, if my ex-wife was found hacked up, and there was evidence linking me to the scene - I wouldn't be getting no dream time defence - my ass would be in jail. I'll agree with you - Cheney fucked up, never mind what the other guy did or didn't do - the fault *always* lies with the guy who pulled the trigger. I'm just saying not to get your hopes up - there's been too many 'gotcha' moments in the past that have backfired - Memogate, for one...

Post a Comment