« Home | The list of contenders is out... » | And now, presenting the kitchen-sink critic... » | Unprincipled bastard III » | Nice little country you have here, wouldn't want a... » | Nero Fiddled While Rome Burned » | Halifax's commonWealth games » | 'cuz ugly things need luvin' too » | Stephen Harper switches communications directors... » | The BQ fear for their lives and admit the Tories a... » | My Stupid Capitalist Idea »

Ya Gotta Love This Province...

The Newfoundland Government is closing the schools at lunchtime tomorrow so the kiddies can see Brad Gushue's team play the Gold Medal Game in Curling.

Not sure what kind of message this sends to kids - on the other hand, it's understandable, since there hasn't been a Newfoundlander in the Olympics since '94 - and heck, I'm planning to watch, and I don't even understand Curling - all I know is there's a House, and you throw rocks at it - which, come to think of it, is the sort of thing you get kicked out of school for anyway...

Hahahahaha! Good one, Dan.

I seem to remember watching at least one of the games of the Canada-Russia '72 series in the AV room of the Seventh Street Elementary School

Well, that is rather neat isn't it! Though from an elementary school teacher's perspective watching some of the olympics would fit in well with the social studies and Phys. Ed. curriculum in that they learn more about themsleves (Newfoundland) and Canada and the World, also, they learn more about this sport about "throwing rocks at houses" (Thanks, Dan!). However, I do not believe they should cancel school. Use their AV equipment and show it at school! Unless... a thought just came to me, since the game starts at 1:30 Newfoundland time they would be on their way home during the game so they could miss the final few ends! Anyway, Newfoundlanders shouold be proud of their team! Go Gushue Go!

Sorry the anonymous was me if you hadn't figured that out.

Yeah, you called it exactly, Paul - the buses would be showing up before the final ends - see, I do know a bit more about the sport than I let on.

Well Dan, I expect that there were some happy Newfies this afternoon!

Oh, you got that right - George Street will be rocking!

Congrast to the Newfs on their first ever Gold Medal in the Olympics! If I am incorrect please correct me... I heard this fact on the radio this morning. While I am typing this I am sure there are a few folks on George street well in to the sauce. Way to Go!

No, you're right, Paul - it's our first Gold Medal - the only other one was Dwayne Norris's Silver Medal from the Lillehammer Olympics. Heck, it's the first Men's Curling Gold Medal for Canada, so we all should be proud! Kudos to Brad and the boys and let's not forget Moncton's Russ Howard! It was amazing this morning, I was getting some shopping done and every store had a television up - not for the staff, they called it 'customer service'

Post a Comment