« Home | McGraw, Hill Blast Katrina Cleanup Efforts » | The House Stacks the Rules Again » | That's one way out » | And So It Begins » | Is Harper about to open up equalization again? » | Oh My Dear God... » | The schoolyard bully syndrome » | Du-bye » | No one expects the Spanish Inquisition... » | Reaction to tragedy raises some troubling questions »

We are all poorer

In response to Tom’s passing, we ask that everyone set aside inclinations to vilify or demonize others, no matter what they have done. In Tom’s own words: "We reject violence to punish anyone. We ask that there be no retaliation on relatives or property. We forgive those who consider us their enemies. We hope that in loving both friends and enemies and by intervening nonviolently to aid those who are systematically oppressed, we can contribute in some small way to transforming this volatile situation.”

For what it's worth, I am an atheist totally in awe of the strength of will of those in the Christian Peacemaker organization. Just after the abduction of the four, I heard an interview on CBC and when asked why they would go over there, the response from one who had been there was something to the effect of "Soldiers go over there and put their lives on the line to fight. How can we possibly have peace if we too are not willing to go over there and do the same?"

I never met the man, but I know the world is a poorer place without Tom Fox in it.

Have to agree with you, Kev - I do really admire that kind of devotion - I just don't think I could ever achieve it.

Post a Comment