« Home | Testing RSS feed... » | Halifax Regional School Board » | Ya Gotta Love This Province... » | The list of contenders is out... » | And now, presenting the kitchen-sink critic... » | Unprincipled bastard III » | Nice little country you have here, wouldn't want a... » | Nero Fiddled While Rome Burned » | Halifax's commonWealth games » | 'cuz ugly things need luvin' too »

Commonwealth Games update

I knew if I waited long enough some smarter person than I would do the math for me. The estimate cited in my previous musing on the cost of hosting the Commonwealth Games ranged from 0.8% to 3% of the annual municiple budget for the nebulously defined "lifespan of planned sports infrastructure".

Using 20 years as an estimate of this period of time, which I think might be low judging from how long facilities like Dalplex and the YMCA have been maintained, we get a cost of up to $350 million, a figure which does not include maintenance costs of the facilities for that period.

As I said before, I'm not entirely against the idea of hosting the games here, but I don't know how on earth we can afford it. If anyone wants to weigh in to convince me, feel free; I'd love to hear from you.