« Home | The patriot PM » | Uh-oh... » | Postmodernism is a Myth. » | Poll on Canadian's attitudes toward Afghanistan mi... » | Here's one for the ladies... » | Blevkog Wins Celebrity Endorsement! » | I shit you not... » | More thoughts on the difficult Iranian problem » | Proud, sniff, to be Canadian » | Give Me Virginity or Give Me Death »

Diplomacy means never having to say you're sorry...

Does anyone in this well-intentioned yet doomed enterprise realize that the United States, should they be successful in keeping known human rights violators off of this UN committee, is essentially barring themselves from participating?
I'm not saying it's not win-win, but...

Actually, truth be told - I don't really loathe this idea. I do kinda think that to sit on a Human Rights Commission, you should have to pass a higher bar than a simple majority vote - and I'd actually like seeing countries like Syria and Zimbabwe get slapped in the face over their human rights record. Of course, if that means the States gets to come under closer scrutiny - hey, that's just gravy, I don't think they've thought that out - definitely it hasn't occurred to them that by barring any country under UN sanction, they're effectively shafting Israel...

I think it's a great idea, no doubt about it. I think it's about time that the UN fulfill what should be a central part of their mandate: to uphold and defend human rights.
I just think it will fade into the mists of history unfulfilled, because too many countries have too many people with too much to hide.

Post a Comment