« Home | Politicians are soooo transparent... » | Ralph Klein's "Third Way" » | Stephen Harper vs. Ralph Klein » | I thought he already had a steady pay cheque... » | The Liberals should just shut up for a while » | How Sad is It? » | Stupid or lying? » | Emerson issues apology, but stands by defection de... » | Oh, those Dems! » | Build skyscrapers or die! »

I wonder...

... if they'll allow the internet?

Paul,

I think the problem with legality might lie in the guy that's setting it up owning all of the commercial property in the city. It will be interesting to see how this works out, but I don't think that it's in anyone's best interest to ghettoize the nation - and if this takes off, who knows if it will spread?

The difference, Paul, is that the Mennonites only apply those laws to themselves - there's nothing preventing me from moving into a Mennonite community and running a pharmacy that sells contraceptives, if I was so minded to do so - the only problem would be a lack of a customer base. This community, on the Gripping Hand, does impose it's religious strictures on me - if I move there, I'm not going to be allowed to sell contraceptives. And, don't think it's merely a matter of disagreeing with their religious beliefs - I'd have the same problem with a wealthy atheist such as Bill Gates or Warren Buffet setting up a community and declaring that you weren't allowed to build churches there. As Kev said, it's a ghettoization - although I might compare it more to a Renaissance-era Italian City-State, with Monaghan as Merchant-Prince.

Hey, considering Monaghan's former business connections, do you suppose they'll post a local calender, starting the years since the founding of the city, as A.D. - Anno Dominos?

Post a Comment