« Home | Waiting Wider, Not Longer... » | Hello, my name is Scott and I'm a... » | Where is the crime? » | Stephen Harper, Bernard Shapiro, and the Sunshine ... » | If you are American and poor... » | Me and my girls are goin' to South Dakota! » | Blogging for the man... » | Yanni is a beast! » | Peter Mackay's bumper sticker » | Oil economics, the US, and Iran »

Take a cleansing breath, Flash...

Uh, OK. Ummm...
I'd like to say something rational about this, but I'm afraid it'll be ripped off by some student and used in a paper.
I am currently taking courses at the university in question...Shame and guilt, indeed.
I hope you'll all take this the right way, but since when is the ability to cheat a human right?
Privacy you say - Privacy my Aunt Fanny (if I had one, but I digress).
You don't think that someone who designed the software made it possible to eliminate identifying information?
You can't conceive of the fact that having a piece in a database (even without identifying information) ensures your intellectual property by establishing the provenance of an idea?
Or are you just being an activist because it makes you feel important in front of the Birkenstock crowd?
Take my advice - Shut up and follow the rules sometimes. There are valid reasons to jump through certain hoops in the manner prescribed - It means you have earned your credentials. Remember those? The reason you went to university in the first place?
By all means, be an activist...advocate for the poor, volunteer with children or the elderly. Make your community better.
But Please don't make the rest of us work under an immutable cloud of suspicion because you're uncomfortable that someone else might read your paper for Vegan Basket Weaving 101 and think you're an intellectual vegetable.
It's people like you that ruined Lawn Darts for the rest of us.

You know, just a shot in the dark, but I'm guessing none of these students complaining have plans to pursue their education beyond their Bachelors, or else they're going to be in for a major shock when they hand in their thesis for their Masters, or God forbid, their Doctorate. Nor for that matter, can they plan to be pursuing a career in science or academia, where they'll actually have to submit any paper they write to peer review.

Post a Comment